INVISALIGN® / INVISIBLE BRACES / ORTHODONTIC ALIGNERS
The Best-Known Brand of Invisible Aligners in Use for Orthodontics Is Invisalign, and If You Prefer Them to Other Invisible Aligners, Dr. Dori Columbus DDS Will Be Happy to Discuss Your Options With You.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a well-promoted name brand of invisible orthodontic aligners, also called invisible braces – the invisible way to straighten your teeth without traditional braces.
Invisible aligners use a series of clear removable plastic appliances to straighten your teeth without metal wires or brackets. They have been proven effective in clinical research and in practices nationwide, and are a particularly popular option for straightening teeth among adults.
What Are the Benefits of Invisible Aligners?
- Invisible aligners are nearly invisible - you can straighten your teeth without anyone knowing.
- Invisible aligners are removable - you can eat and drink what you want during treatment, and you can also brush and floss normally to maintain good oral hygiene.
- Invisible aligners are comfortable - there are no metal brackets or wires to cause mouth irritation; and no metal or wires also means you spend less time in the dentist’s chair getting adjustments.
- You can view your own virtual treatment plan before you start, to see how your better smile will look when your treatment is complete.
How do Invisible Aligners Work?
You wear each set of aligners for about 2 weeks, removing them only to eat, drink, brush, and floss. As you replace each aligner with the next in the series, your teeth move – little by little, week by week – until they have straightened to the final position Dr. Dori has prescribed.
You will visit Dr. Dori about once every 6 weeks to ensure that your orthodontics treatment is progressing as planned. Total treatment time averages 9 to 15 months and the average number of aligners worn during treatment is between 18 and 30, but both will vary from case to case.
How Are Invisible Aligners Made and Used?
You'd Be Amazed... The Aligners are made through a combination of Dr. Dori’s expertise and 3-D computer imaging technology.
- Dr. Dori Columbus and an assistant take your records, including intra and extra-oral photos and x-rays and PVS impressions (PVS is a non-toxic silicone product that quickly dries to a rubber-like consistency), all of which are used to create a plan for your desired treatment goals.
- Plaster models are poured and then scanned to create highly-accurate digital images.
- A virtual treatment is created, with the teeth moving gradually from initial to final position. Each stage corresponds to the movement built into a set of aligners.
- Your virtual treatment is presented in the form of a movie.
- Upon approval of the treatment, your customized set of aligners is manufactured using the latest CAD/CAM technology, along with instructions and any attachment templates required.
- Dr. Dori gives you your first set of aligners, and then additional sets every 6 weeks or so, during the office visits set up to monitor your treatment progress. In this way, she can ensure that treatment is going as planned, and make adjustments, if necessary.
Are Invisible Aligners Covered by Insurance?
Because medical benefits differ significantly from policy to policy, you should review your coverage. Usually, if you have orthodontic coverage, invisible aligners should be covered to the same extent as conventional braces.
Invisible braces – called invisible aligners by Dr. Dori Columbus – the best-know brand of which is Invisalign, are a good treatment option for almost all orthodontics situations, and are often the teeth straightening method of choice for adults.